Download and Install the Latest Version of Birder's Diary
Download the latest version of the Birder’s Diary Installer program by clicking on the button below. This will download a file with the name of BDVxy-nwsetup.exe. After the download completes, run this file to install, or upgrade to, the latest version of Birder’s Diary.
If this is the first time you have installed Birder’s Diary, then there are no Taxonomic Lists to download. The demo database that is installed will already have all of the available taxonomic lists in it. This installer contains everything.
If you are simply upgrading your version of Birder’s Diary, then this installation will only install a new program and various updated files (e.g. User Guide). Get your new/upgraded taxonomic lists here.
V5.2 build 61 – 23 Sep 2021
Please note, that most installation issues are due to installed Antivirus programs!
- You may or may not get a notification from your antivirus program that it has blocked the installation or certain files in the installation.
- Your antivirus notification may or may not give you an option to Trust or Allow the installation or file.
- Often, your only option is to completely disable or completely remove (when disable doesn’t solve the problem) your antivirus programs.
- The various flavors of Norton are one of the biggest offenders. Often, the only way is to completely uinstall Norton. Even then, it leaves a browser extension on your system such that if you attempt to install BD via your browser, it will mysteriously fail with no message. You have to disable the extension. In many instances you may have to configure Norton to ignore the C:\Birder’s Diary directory. Instructions here.
- Windows Defender is FREE. It comes with Windows automatically and in most cases will be auto-enabled as soon as you uninstall all other antivirus programs on your computer. Defender has no issues with Birder’s Diary.
- If you are having trouble with installation or running Birder’s Diary after installation, please send email to support@BirdersDiary.com and we will assist.
A Word on Anti-virus Programs
IMPORTANT Recent updates to anti-virus software (e.g. Windows Defender, Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee etc) definition files causes them to flag this download as a potential Trojan Virus. This is because we use an older installation program that they do not recognize. This installation does NOT contain any viruses. Microsoft Windows Defender and Norton updated their definitions at our request, and after their analysis, to allow for this installer to run without flagging. All of the other major antivirus vendors were also requested to correct their definitions. McAfee seems to be the most difficult to contact and no positive response from them has been received.
SOLUTION: Temporarily disable your particular anti-virus program in order to run this installation. (Simply Google “How to disable ‘your-anti-virus-program-here'”) Or, you can get rid of all of your anti-virus software and only use Microsoft Windows Defender (it’s FREE). That is my recommendation.
ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM CONCERNS: It is important to be aware of the basic business model behind most all Anti-virus programs. They have access to all your data, all your browsing, everything! This is necessary to accomplish their stated goal of protecting you and your computer. What is also buried deep in their End-User License Agreement is the fact that they can collect, share and sell all of that data at their discretion. That is the basic business model of how these programs make money. Data sells! and sells Big! How is that any different from the spyware it is meant to protect you from. Educate yourself. Read this article among others that are readily available online.
FINAL WORD: Don’t run more than one such program on your computer; as they compete against each other and significantly degrade your computer’s performance. Don’t pay for one when many are free. Use Microsoft’s solution – Windows Defender (aka Security Essentials) – as it is FREE and made by the folks that create your operating system. Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection to Microsoft or Windows Defender, and receive no reimbursement from them for this endorsement. I simply believe it is the best option and most all folks I know in the industry use ONLY Windows Defender. This is simply a service to our Birder’s Diary customers.
Older Versions of Birder’s Diary
Fix Corrupted License File
Will replace corrupted License File with fresh/empty file. Requiring re-activation.