Cinnamon Hummingbird

Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions

Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
Setup your Forum photo and profile here.

Clements 2022 Homel...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Clements 2022 Homeless Species

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@aldeboro)
Trusted Member

Hello Jeff,

I downloaded and installed Clements 2022 and found the tax list differing from the check list by 7 species. The BD tax list agreed with the official Clements tax list of 10906 so I concluded it was due to missing locations. I used a my less labor-intensive method of comparing the 2 BD lists and found the following 7 homeless species looking for a location to call home.

Norfolk Ground Dove - Norfolk Island

Spotted Green Pigeon - Probably South Pacific Ocean (some disagreements)

Hawkin's Rail -Chatham Island

Wake Island Rail - Wake Island

Hodgen's Waterhen - New Zealand

Norfolk Island Kaka - Norfolk Island

Finsch's Duck - New Zealand

They are all extinct but since all the other extinct species have a home (Location), these should also. It will make the tax list and checklist agree with a total of 10906 species.

If your historical BD files have locations for these 7, then perhaps you can use your data. Anyhow at least one location for each will get them on the BD checklist.

Regards, Al Borodayko

Cypress, CA

4 Replies
Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@jeff)
Creator & Technical Support

Hi Al,

Sometime in the past, we stopped assigning extinct species locations. If there are some extinct species with locations, then that would be unintentional.

In Clements 2022, there are 226 extinct Things (species and subspecies). All of them do not have locations assigned to them; 158 are species and 68 are subspecies.

For example, Labrador Duck is not assigned a location and is not on your list above.

You probably have location data for these 226 - 7 Things due to historical data in BD. The auto-import upgrades are non-destructive with checklist data, so old data is never removed, and only new locations are added for Things.

To get the exact match on the current Checklist data as provided by the latest Clements 2022 release for BD, you need to manually import the Checklist data again, using the following settings.

Select this file for import...

As you can see, this will first PURGE all checklist data associated with All Things in Clements 2022 taxonomic list, and then import the data anew; so that you get a fresh, no old data, import.

The problem with this is, if you have populated other locations (e.g. your county, park, etc) with checklist data, then that gets blown away also. Instead, you could use the Overwrite Locations option without the Purge option, but this will only overwrite locations in use in the Clements 2022 Checklist data file (in this case all Countries, and states/provinces for USA, MX, CA, AUS and UK). Leaving all other user-created checklist locations alone. Your choice.

So, in summary, the Checklist data for Clements 2022 is as intended. You are seeing different results because the Auto-Import method never removes old records, only adds new records; main reason is so that we do not destroy records you have manually added and want to keep. But this creates a garbage collection issue as time goes on. Something not foreseen in the early days of BD.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Topic starter
(@aldeboro)
Trusted Member

Jeff,

I have personal Locations, so I will not use the PURGE option because I want to leave my user created Locations alone. Overwrite Locations seems my best option.

If I do the Overwrite now, how will it impact my BD ABA and BD AOS Lists after the Overwrite? Will sightings get shuffled around?

The good news is that I have no extinct species in my sightings.

By the way, while waiting for your reply, I downloaded the Clements 2022 checklist from their website. The checklist identifies the extinct species and subspecies. I deleted the living species which left only extinct species (without subspecies) on the list so I was able to verify that 158 species are extinct.

Regard, Al

Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

Hi Al,

Posted by: @aldeboro

If I do the Overwrite now, how will it impact my BD ABA and BD AOS Lists after the Overwrite? Will sightings get shuffled around?

Sightings don't get changed, ever, by this process. This is simply what locations things are attached to in the Thing2Location table which is used in Checklist reports. For example, a Blue Jay is attached to Indiana, Ohio, etc. But you may have sightings for a Blue Jay in any location you desire. Changing one does not change the other.

Before doing another Checklist import, be sure to do a Backup that you can revert to if you want. 

Checklist Import with Overwrite Locations

This will clean up your Countries and States/Provinces checklists that are shipped with BD. It will leave any locations outside that list alone. Many users have old errant checklist data from days gone by. These can continue to be a pain at times. The only way to clean this up is to do the PURGE option. Again, do a Backup before trying any of this. 

With the PURGE option, all of your checklist data is first dumped to a CSV file that can be reimported to recreate what you had before the purge.

This file is dumped by-Location sorted alphabetically. So you can easily retrieve any location's checklist data using NotePad to open the file, save as its own file, and then quickly import that file to regain any accidental removals. This is the route I would take in your case if the results of Overwrite Locations doesn't produce complete and correct results.

Let me know if I can help further.

Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@jeff)

Further update after email exchanges:

Al noticed, and I forgot about this feature, that BD (after any upgrade to the program) will automatically correct Clements Things that are extinct and clear all checklist data associated with those Things.

So, after such a recent upgrade to Build 19, Al noticed that the extinct Things no longer showed on a Checklist report. So there was no need for him to go through the manual Checklist Import to correct this situation.

fyi

Share: