Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions

Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Error 438  

RSS

(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 11, 2020 2:38 pm  

Hello Jeff,

I got error message 438 when I click on "Add Sighting". I'm using BD 5.2 V10. See attachment. I click "OK on the message", the message closes and the sighting is added to my sightings list.

What gives

Error 438

, Al Borodayko

Cypress, CA

This topic was modified 6 days ago 2 times by Jeff Jones

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 11, 2020 3:03 pm  

Jeff,

An additional item associated with Error 438. When I went to my checklist report, the Merriam's Chipmunk was listed but there is no checkbox. This was not a new Thing, just an additional sighting.

Missing Check Box

See attachment

Al

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 11, 2020 5:57 pm  

Hi Al,

Haven't seen this one yet, but probably some change I made recently. 

Strange about the checklist report and Merriam's Chipmunk. 

Have you tried to reproduce this? Are you able to successfully add more sightings?

Have you looked at the chipmunk sighting in View Sightings to see what it looks like?

Let's start here.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 11, 2020 7:27 pm  

I checked the sightings and they look normal. I added a Lodgepole Chipmunk as a test case. Got the error message as before. When I brought up the checklist report, it also lost it's checkbox. See attachment (2 missing). I then went into my sightings and deleted today's entries of both the Merriam's Chipmunk and Lodgepole Chipmunk. After the deletion, the check boxes (square) returned to both species in the checklist. See attachment (after deletion).

I remembered that I also added a new thing (Aleppo Pine) in my Plants taxonomy. I got error 438 but there was a checkbox (diamond) associated with it. Perhaps it has something to do with square vs diamond checkbox. 

So only new entries of existing things are causing the error message and missing check box and entries of new things are causing the error message only.

Al

2 missing checkboxes
After deletion

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 12, 2020 7:05 am  

Thanks Al.

So, adding any new Sighting, via Keyboard Entry, causes RTE 438? Correct?

On the reports, please increase the size of the checkbox column (double it for test purposes) to see if the size is cutting off the checkbox for these things. Retest your report. You may need to shrink the size of another column in order to increase the checkbox column width.

Please ZIP/compress your database (C:\Birder's Diary\data\database.mdb) and upload it to me via the Support >> File Upload page on this site so I can test and reproduce this RTE 438 error.

Thanks,

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 9:48 am  

Jeff,

Per your instructions, I increased the checkbox width and that fixed the missing check box issue. Although I don't understand why since I created that format centuries ago and I never fooled with it after I created it.

Mammals
Plants

The Error 438 is the only issue now.

Will send the zip file next, Al

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 12, 2020 9:54 am  
Posted by: @jeff

So, adding any new Sighting, via Keyboard Entry, causes RTE 438? Correct?

Al - let me know if this is a true statement please.

Also, not sure how to tell if increasing the width of the Checkbox column solved this problem because I don't see the names that had the problem in your new screenshots. Are they there?

Thx

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 12, 2020 10:03 am  

Hi Al,

Got the database and able to reproduce the error.

Stay tuned.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 10:39 am  

I experimented with the width of the checkbox setting (see Checkbox format) and found that if the width was less than 5 notches, then the checkbox on the latest entries would be missing (see 4 notches) in the report. If 5 notches or greater then the boxes are there (see 6 notches). I don't know why it only applies to new entries.

The names are highlighted

Al

Checkbox format
4 notches
6 notches

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 11:11 am  

Jeff,

Upon further review, I found a 5 notch setting can produce random missing checkboxes even though it was not a recent entry. In fact, it was an unchecked box that went missing. Widening to 6 notches cured the problem.

Al

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 11:56 am  

Jeff,

Forgot to answer one question. Yes, I am using the "Keyboard Entry" method for adding sightings.

Al

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 12, 2020 12:08 pm  

Hi Al,

The difference is the width of the diamond character for this year, this location designation. It requires more width. 

I have isolated the problem. A new change I implemented for Lat/Lng auto-copying on sightings entry for Build 10 or 11. 

Build 12 coming shortly with the fix.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@jeff)
Member Admin
September 12, 2020 12:36 pm  

Solved in Build 12 of v5.2. Just uploaded.

This had no effect on sightings entered other than to not copy the Lat/Lng to the sighting, if ...

• You had Latitude/Longitude UDFs defined
  • And the Location that you are entering sightings for had its Lat/Lng set.

Sorry for the mistake,

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 3:02 pm  

Ok, I downloaded and installed BD5.2 V10. Added some things and there was no error 438 message. That is good.

Also, as long as my checklist box is 6 notches in the checklist format, there are no missing checkboxes. That is good.

Thanks for sorting it out, Al

ReplyQuote
(@aldeboro)
Eminent Member
September 12, 2020 4:10 pm  

Sorry, I meant BD 5.2 V12 not V10 that I downloaded and installed that fixed the problems. Too much smoke. I can't see the keyboard clearly.

Al

ReplyQuote
Share: