Cinnamon Hummingbird

Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions

Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.

Error 481: Then BD ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Error 481: Then BD won't open

Topic starter
(@iasmit)

In trying to fix a long-standing display problem, I have got myself locked out of Birder's Diary.

Selecting a photo for "background image" results in only the centre of the image filling the screen - thus no good unless it is a shot without zoom of a bird at a a distance. Could not find a setting for "fit" to adjust this. As the default file extension is BMP when selecting an image, tried converting a JPG file to Bitmap to see if this might fix the problem. But on selecting the .BMP file and hitting "Apply", got this screen.

ScreenHunter 344

As usual after an error, BD shut down - but now on trying to reopen, just get the "Run-time error '481': invalid picture" message and BD won't load.

Please help - Ian

4 Replies
Admin
(@jeff)

Oh! In looking again at all of this, I completely mis-read your problem description. I wasn't focusing on the bottom part of your screen capture.

Posted by: @iasmit

Selecting a photo for "background image"

I was thinking that you were attempting to set the background image of your computer screen, not the BD background. I shouldn't read these posts before having my first cup of coffee. Thanks for the screenshot and sorry for missing the obvious.

JPG or BMP files work just fine. No need to convert from one to the other.

Now you have BD failing to open because the file you are pointing to is not a valid jpg or bmp file

We can fix that.

1. Run the Registry Editor 
    1. WinKey + R to open the Run window
    2. Type 'regedit' and click Ok
  2. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Birders Diary\Settings"
  3. On the right side, locate BackgroundImage and double-click to open the editor.
  4. Clear the Value setting and click OK.
  5. Close the Registry Editor

Now you can restart BD and it will work. And you can now set the background image to a valid BMP or JPG file.

Oddly enough, when I create an invalid BMP file and attempt to set my BD background image to this file, I get a message and NOT an error that closes BD. 

Very interesting how your situation is producing this failure. 

Please let me know what version of Windows you are running and what version of BD you are running.

And please update me and let me know that you have this working again per the instructions above.

Thanks,

Jeff

Admin
(@jeff)

Ah! I figured out how you got into this situation Ian. Or at least I was able to reproduce this situation under the following circumstances.

You set the image in the View | Options, Background Tab when the image was valid. 

Then you subsequently modified the file which rendered it invalid. The code that loads the file assumes a valid file because I wouldn't let you set the file in the first place unless it was valid. But I did not think of the case when, at some later point, the file would be rendered invalid.

This is fixed in Build 54 and later of v5.2. The code now checks for a valid file at load/startup time.

fyi

Jeff

Topic starter
(@iasmit)

Thanks Jeff, that fixed things and Birder's Diary now opens. I had used an online service (Zamzar) to convert a JPG file to BMP but, although the BMP file opens in Windows Photo, it obviously wasn't accepted by Birder's Diary.

There remains the issue which triggered this problem, best illustrated with a couple of screenshots. Wanted to try the following photo as a background image:

ScreenHunter 346

However this then appears in Birder's Diary as below:

ScreenHunter 347

This is a less important presentation issue, but would appreciate your comments on what causes the "zooming" effect and whether it can be fixed.

Admin
(@jeff)

Hi Ian,

That is not a zooming effect. It is merely displaying the image at 100% resolution based on the default monitor scale; and centering it. I haven't built in any scale-to-fit options. Merely display the image in full resolution, centered. I figured customers could edit and scale the image ahead of time to fit their needs. I should probably consider a best-fit option.

It would be my guess that the photo app you are using in the first screen capture is doing a scale-to-fit display; not full size.

Nice photo by the way.

Jeff

Share: