Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions
Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
[Solved] Generated PDFs returning gibberish
I have tried several times to generate a PDF of a checklist or a report and while it looks fine on screen, once it is saved it returns with what looks like gibberish. I haven't changed the font from the default Ariel.
This only happened (as far as I know) since the last update.
Just to be sure that it is not something in my system, I generated a PDF with another program (Avisys, in fact) and it was fine. I also created a PDF from a Word document, no problems.
I've attached a screen shot.
You don't read Klingon? 😉
This is a problem with the font chosen in the Report Designer and the best-fit font chosen by the 3rd party control that generates the PDF file.
Depending on the system and other installed software, your results vary. Many customers experience this with a subset of fonts.
The solution is to play around with a new font until you find one that generates a valid PDF file. In your example, your Family column font displays correctly, so switch your other columns to that font and it should work just fine. You don't have to match color, size and weight of the font, just the font name.
Let me know how this works or if I can assist further,
Ah okay, it was indeed Ariel that caused the problem. I switched to a different font and now its okay.
I did some research and it seems that Adobe Acrobat DC has an issue with Ariel, but supposedly it had been fixed. I never saw this before so I'm not sure where it broke but anyway as long as I don't use Ariel it should be okay.