Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions
Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
Setup your Forum photo and profile here.
[Solved] New 5.3 update install only appears for Administrator, not regular user on my pc
Have just upgraded from 5.0 to 5.3.25. Installed successfully. However, the program is only visible and usable if I log in to user account Administrator, and not to my usual user login. How can I fix this? Windows 10 x 64
Interesting. Did you install BD when you were logged into your admin account?
If so, perhaps the protections set on the C:\Birder's Diary\ directory tree requires extended access. Or perhaps, you can simply run the install again using your usual user account.
Let's start here. Please let me know a bit more about this.
Oh - I have been searching my memory for a possible explanation for this. And this might be it.
Since Windows 8, BD needs to be installed in C:\Birder's Diary\, not C:\Program Files\Birder's Diary\. If you did install to the latter location, I think the symptoms are what you are seeing. The way to correct this is as follows:
- Run BD from your Admin account or with Admin privs. Verify you are seeing your correct database and data.
- Create a backup of your database to a known location. E.g. C:\temp\ etc.
- Now, run the installer again from this site's Download page. This time, be certain that you install exactly into C:\Birder's Diary\.
- After completion, your desktop shortcuts (not any shortcuts you may have placed in your taskbar) should be pointing to the new location.
- Run BD without Admin privs and verify that you don't see any data; e.g. just the empty demo database with Sample Observer.
- Choose File | Backup/Restore from the main menu.
Click the button shown in Step #1 below to location and select the backup file you created above in #2. Then click the Restore button to restore that database.
- Exit BD and restart normally. Verify that you are seeing your correct data and database.
Let me know please.
If this is a bit complicated for you, please let me know and I will be happy to get onto your computer and fix everything for you. It should only take a couple minutes.
Closing this topic due to inactivity. Please post back if this is still an issue and we can reopen and continue to work it.