Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions
Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
Use the Community Sharing forum for sharing Photos, Trips, Stories, etc.
Setup your Forum photo and profile here.
[Solved] Sightings report trip filter not working
I'm trying to generate a sightings report using the Trip SmartSearch field and get an error saying "No data in the report!". All of the other SmartSearch fields are working properly. I know I've done this in the past but not since I upgraded to version 6.1. I'm currently running build 22 on a Windows 11 PC.
Thanks for posting.
So, you are on the Sightings Tab in the report designer (F7). And you are specifying Trip from the dropdown, among other possible filters. And when you click on Preview/Print you get No data in report.
This means that the combination of filters you have specified - Trip, etc. - they combine to select no Sightings to report on.
Check your other filter settings such as begin/end dates/times, Observers, Locations, etc. You may want to click on the Clear All button to clear all filters and start fresh.
Let me know please.
Thanks for the quick response.
You have correctly described what I'm attempting to do. I followed your suggestions and still got the error.
Then I wondered what would happen if I went to View/Edit Sightings (F3) and specified a trip. First I clicked the Clear Data Filter button and then selected the same trip I was trying to generate the report for. Surprisingly it selected no sightings. I then tried different trips and found that some trips before 1998 would select sightings. I then went back to the Report Designer and got the same result, some trips older than 1998 would generate a report. So it seems that some of my trips aren't connected to the sightings. I checked a few sightings and the trip is shown correctly.
One additional thing I tried is going to the Trip Report tab in the Report Designer and specifying a trip. If I specify one of the trips older than 1998 that seems Ok, it generates a trip report however if I specify one of the current trips that isn't OK, I get a 364 run-time error and Birder's Diary crashes. Maybe another clue as to the problem.
It seems like my problem has gotten a lot worse.
Thanks for the details.
- View | Options, Special Tab...
- Click Upgrade DB button. This will rebuild trip and location hierarchy tables which could be the problem here.
- Try your report again.
Let me know. If this doesn't get you going, then I will need to get onto your computer and have a look.
I updated the database as you requested and it made no difference. I'm available most anytime for you to access my computer.
Just tried calling your 2446 number and got voicemail.
I am here for another hour. Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know when you might be available. If not today, then tomorrow perhaps.
Update: Just got off Larry's computer. I was wrong about the "Upgrade DB" button, it does not rebuild the Trip Hierarchy tables.
So, we forced a rebuild by adding a Test trip and the promptly deleting it and closing the window.
Now all is working.