Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions
Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
Use the Community Sharing forum for sharing Photos, Trips, Stories, etc.
Setup your Forum photo and profile here.
[Solved] v6.1 Bird Song Jukebox fails on Windows 10 with Secure Channel error.
In the last few weeks, the Bird Song Jukebox feature available in v6.1 has stopped working on Windows 10 only. It works fine on Windows 11. It will generally produce the following error:
Here is what we know so far:
- It only fails on Windows 10, not Windows 11.
- It used to work on Windows 10 when first released. No changes have occurred in this code since it was first released.
- The problem is not specific to Birder's Diary. Using other utilities on Windows 10 also fail with the same error when attempting to communicate with xeno-canto.org.
- It does not have a problem when communicating to other sites.
We do not have a solution yet. The likely causes are:
- A change at xeno-canto that is affecting a particular library on Windows 10.
- A Windows 10 update that has changed the underlying library code for internet protocol.
Very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause. We have put in over 30 man-hours looking into this so far. This is proving very difficult to pin down.
More info from testing:
- On the same customer system (Windows 10) where this fails with PowerShell and BD, the same command works with the Chrome browser.
Next step is to install Fiddler and see what is different about the request from Chrome and the request from BD/Powershell.
Update: After much testing and several things tried, we are no closer to a solution.
However, today, I posted this problem in a couple places on the internet, but one of which was the xeno-canto.org forums. I got a response within a few hours indicating that the problem is due to a change on the xeno-canto API side of things. In particular, they started forcing TLS version 1.3 on all API calls, right about the time this problem emerged.
TLS 1.3 is not a version supported by native Windows 10. So, there is the problem.
They are checking to see if they can revert back and start supporting older versions as well, as this change they have made has broken other applications and interfaces also.
In the meantime, the only quick solution is to upgrade to Windows 11.
I am closing this issue now.
The solutions I am hoping for are:
- Xeno-canto.org goes back to supporting legacy versions of TLS.
- Microsoft releases an update to Windows 10 that will support TLS 1.3.
As a user running Windows 10, the only current solution is to upgrade to Windows 11. I highly recommend it as the best version of Windows to date. Previous to this, I only recommended Windows 7; but Windows 11 is now the best.
UPDATE - SUCCESS!
Xeno-canto has responded that they will go back to the TLS 1.2 that was in place when the Bird Song JukeBox worked on Windows 10!
They couldn't say exactly when this will happen, but "soonish".
Xeno-canto reports it has reverted back to TLS 1.2.
Testing shows that the new v6.1 Bird Song Jukebox is once again working on Windows 10!