Welcome to the Birder's Diary Forum for Support And General Questions
Use the Support forum for all questions or issues.
Use the Wish List forum to leave your ideas for improving Birder’s Diary.
Setup your Forum photo and profile here.
[Solved] HTML Report - allow change in order
Currently the report is produced in the order 1) map, 2) sighting details, 3) photo gallery, 4) trip notes. For very long reports, I find the sighting details to be less important to non-birders and they want to see the map and photos primarily. So, I would like the ability to change the order in the report. Most often, I would want the order to be 1) map, 2) trip notes, 3) photo gallery, 4) sighting details. However, it would be most useful if I had complete flexibility in the order. Also, add the ability to omit one of the categories, e.g., not to include sighting details in the report.
Ok - this one is a bit more difficult and I have been designing and testing different ways to implement this since you posted.
One way, is to control the layout of this report, with the options you specify for order and inclusion, on report creation (e.g. on the View & Edit Sightings window).
But, I think that possibly a better way is to allow the end user - the viewer - of the report to control both order and inclusion. More details on this...
- The report will always be generated with the same order and visibility of the sections as makes the most sense.
- Currently, with the latest version of these reports, I supply a floating Table of Contents in the upper right corner that stays put in this location no mater where you scroll to in the page. As you see in the screenshot below. This allows the user to jump from section to section easily and quickly.
- So, the idea is to slightly modify this floating TOC to add a Checkbox which allows the user to hide/show a section. In addition, you can drag-n-drop each item to arrange change the order to whatever you like. This might be a sample default.
Then you could Drag SIGHTINGS up and drop it on the TOP, and change its visibility such that it would look like this.
Of course, I would have to add some text there describing that the user can change the visibility of any section via the checkbox, and change the order via Drag-n-Drop.
The TOP item could not have its position or visibility changed.
Here's a picture of the drag in progress.
The Pros are that the end-user gets to decide what they want to see and in what order.
The Cons are:
- Every time the report/page is loaded, it is loaded with the default order and visibility.
- The report creator, you, don' have control over the order.
Let me know what you, and any others listening, think about this.
Well - after all of that, it seems obvious to me that both options are the best solution.
- Give the report creator control over the initial default view of the report; both order and visibility of the 4 sections.
- And give the end-user the ability mentioned above to view it differently if they choose.
I prefer option 1, but having both options would be desirable.
Well... I went round and round on this one.
I think the control belongs to the report creator, not the viewer. So, only you, the creator controls the order and visibility of the 4 report sections: Map, Photos, Sightings, Trips.
So, I added this functionality to the Report Creation Panel.
It allows you to set the order and visibility of each section. It remembers your previously used settings, of course.
Available in v5.3.0 or later. Coming soon to a computer near you!
Let me know if you have any thoughts on this please.
That's great and all I really wanted in the first place.
Here is an example where I changed the order of the sections of a recent birding day report.
Excellent. Nice photo of Mexican Parrolet. I haven't seen that species since 2000 in San Blas.